Friday, November 2, 2007

Jumping Rider vs. Riding a Jumper

I found this great article on The Chronicle of the Horse's website. Linda Allen is an international show jumping course designer with the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and 1992 World Cup on her resume. She wrote, "Being A Jumping Rider Means More Than Just Riding A Jumper," for the February 23, 2007, issue. The Chronicle requires you to sign in so I can't give you a direct link but if you go to the website and click on "Between Rounds" you will find the article. She writes:


"The more I teach around the country and the world, the more obvious it becomes that there's a world of difference between being able to ride a jumper and being a jumping rider.

Let me describe what I mean: It might not take too long for someone to teach me how to drive a race car around the Indianapolis 500 track; but would this mean I could then race that car in even a moderately difficult race? No, I don't think so!

To not be a menace to myself, the car, and the other drivers, it would take years of practice and experience until I was truly one with the car. Results--and safety--depend on far more than just knowing how to steer, brake and change gears. Being a race-car driver means having finely tuned reflexes--the ability to feel the subtleties of when, where and how much to do things--under all the incredible pressures of a 200-mph race.

How similar this is to riding jumpers! Relatively quickly, one can learn the aids involved to negotiate a basic course on a well-trained horse. But becoming the kind of rider who allows the full talent of the horse to shine through and produces consistent results (without panicking, freezing or over-reacting when things get "interesting") is a completely different story. Natural talent-- in the rider, the horse or both--can help a lot, but even that cannot serve as a substitute for a lot of time in the saddle."

Allen goes on to talk about the importance of a firm horsemanship foundation, as well as, the need for short and long-term goals. I got a lot out of this article and I hope you do too!

Talk to you soon,
EDV

No comments: