Sunday, October 21, 2007

Riding Abroad


Photo: I took this picture while riding Nobbie, a 5-year-old Irish Thoroughbred. No wonder Ireland's called the Emerald Isle.


In 2004, after my freshman year at Northeastern University, I spent three months in Ireland riding and learning about the 3-day eventing world. Like everything, it had its ups-and-downs, but I definitely came back a more confident rider. While I was over there I rode a 3-year-old, 4-year-old and 5-year-old everyday AND I taught at two pony-club camps.

Along with riding, I fed and turned out the horses and cleaned stalls and swept (all the non-fun stuff that goes along with riding). I galloped faster than I had ever galloped before, jumped banks and ditches... it was fantastic. To top it all off, the horses were fantastic (no nags here).

While I was in Ireland, I got the opportunity to ride in an International Student Riding Association event (specifically, a Student Riding Nations Cup). It was amazing. Basically, students from all over the world compete in dressage, show jumping and cross-country (one of the three phases of 3-day eventing). The one I rode in had teams from Belgium, England, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Austria, etc. If you are a student-rider, I highly recommend checking out the website. You have to fill out an application and get letters of recommendation, etc., but if you are chosen for a team it is an amazing experience. The one unfortunate thing: you have to pay your own way and sometimes it gets a little expensive.

I mentioned in a previous post that riding abroad doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg - and it's true! All you have to do is be willing to work hard. When I went to Ireland I payed for my plane ticket but that was all. Many European barns love to have hard-working Americans around (be willing to muck stalls) but the reward can be great - getting to ride in Europe!

How do you find a trainer/rider in Europe? I was lucky enough to ride a horse for a woman during high school with connections in Ireland but it's easy enough to find someone even without networking. The Internet is a great tool. Google riders' names or results from horse shows (Also, check out the website I linked to above). Make a phone call, or even easier - send an email. Then pack your bags & get ready for the hardest work of your life.


Enjoy!
EDV

No comments: